Skip to main content

I have really enjoyed watching other people perform their scenes in this class. It is fun to see my peers act. I feel like I do have a slight problem with watching them. My issue is that I don’t really know how to critique them most of the time. It feels like I all I have to say about their performances is that I liked it. That isn’t enough. If people are looking to improve, they need to hear the things that I have to say. I am not exactly sure where the problem lies. One thought I have is that I may not be paying enough attention. This doesn’t mean that I am not paying any attention, but that I am watching through rose-colored glasses of “this is good and I really like it” and I don’t think any deeper about it. I feel like this way of thinking doesn’t happen all of the time. There are some times that I do have criticisms and things to say about a performance. Yet there are other times where I glaze over and think, “I’m having fun at the theatre!” I really would like to pinpoint what makes the difference between these two instances.

Like I said though, there are times that I have thoughts of specific things that I did like and things that I think could improve. So, why don’t I share those things? I think that this may go back to a bit of insecurity on my part. For whatever reason, I think that people don’t want to hear the things that I have to say about their performance or that I don’t have the qualifications to critique the performance. I don’t know why I think this to be honest. I think that I am a good actor, because I have been in a good amount of shows and I have been accepted into the BFA program here at SUU for acting. So maybe it is just a matter of increasing in my own self-esteem so that I can help others to improve as well.

Comments